I love cartoons and have noticed through the years that they quite often contain a spiritual message or hint. Cartoons often depict the culture of our day. This blog is an attempt to draw from cartoons and apply spiritual truths than can impact our lives. Let me know if you find them of any value. Previous devotionals are archived below.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Cartoonology Devotional 06-19-09


Share on Facebook Soup To Nutz

Cartoonology Devotional 06-19-09

E. Larry Ross

Cartoonology. There is great theology in cartons and comics.

What is it about human nature that makes us want to do the things we are not supposed to do? You know, like getting into the cookie jar when mom tells us not to. Man’s natural, sinful nature is the problem. It has been so since Adam and Eve. The Apostle Paul stated it well and I identify with him well.

Romans 7:18-19 (NLT)
18 And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t.
19 I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway.

Then, Paul asks a question and answers it.

Romans 7:24-25 (NLT)
24 Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?
25 Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.

The Apostle reveals in verse 8 of this same chapter that it is the very “Thou shalt nots” of God’s law that arouse our evil desires. Through Christ, however, the Christian receives a new nature and the gift of the Holy Spirit that enables him to do God’s will. 06-19-09

Click on the link here to see all previous Cartoonology Devotionals.

To receive this daily devotional by e-mail, send a message to edrynn@verizon.net and ask for it. Pastor Ross sends out the devotional every day, Monday through Saturday.

No comments:

Share On Facebook

Share on Facebook

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Larry Ross

    Larry Ross
    Chestnut Hill Free Will Baptist Church
    Powered By Blogger

    Blog Archive

    About Me

    My photo
    Bedford, VA, United States
    I pastor a small church which began in the early 1970's. I love and play Buegrass Gospel music with my wife.