I love cartoons and have noticed through the years that they quite often contain a spiritual message or hint. Cartoons often depict the culture of our day. This blog is an attempt to draw from cartoons and apply spiritual truths than can impact our lives. Let me know if you find them of any value. Previous devotionals are archived below.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Cartoonology Devotional 08-27-09

The Born Loser

Cartoonology. There is great theology in cartoons and comics.

The grass is greener on the other side of the fence. This tongue-in-cheek proverb has been around for ages. It is a sarcastic way of saying that you really won’t be any happier in other circumstances or places. Be happy and bloom where you are, unless God gives you other circumstances, of course.

I was driving a school bus down a country lane this morning. As I passed by a cow pasture, I noticed several cows stretching their necks through the barbed-wire fence eating grass. I thought to myself, even cows think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

The truth is the grass was greener on the other side, as well as, taller. However, I seriously doubt that it was any better tasting or nourishing than the grass right under their feet.

There is another truth, however. Except for the fence, the cows would be in greater peril pursuing that greener grass, not to mention the people passing by in their cars. The grass might be greener on the other side, but that does not mean it is good for you or necessarily more desirable.

The trick is learning to be content with whatever situation God has you in at the moment and to make the best of it, whatever that might be. It could be a place of great honor, something mediocre or something almost unbearable such as divorce, prison, bankruptcy, etc. Decide to place your faith in Christ and strive to do well. In God’s time, things will get better and more satisfying.

1 Timothy 6:6 (NKJV)
6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain. 08-27-09

No comments:

Share On Facebook

Share on Facebook

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Larry Ross

    Larry Ross
    Chestnut Hill Free Will Baptist Church
    Powered By Blogger

    Blog Archive

    About Me

    My photo
    Bedford, VA, United States
    I pastor a small church which began in the early 1970's. I love and play Buegrass Gospel music with my wife.