I love cartoons and have noticed through the years that they quite often contain a spiritual message or hint. Cartoons often depict the culture of our day. This blog is an attempt to draw from cartoons and apply spiritual truths than can impact our lives. Let me know if you find them of any value. Previous devotionals are archived below.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Cartoonology Devotional 08-01-09

Raising Duncan Classics

Cartoonology. There is great theology in cartoons and comics.

Isn’t interesting how you can remember the way things smell? I still remember the smell of my mother cooking in the kitchen. This was when cooking in the kitchen was much different than it is today. There were no microwave ovens, no instant meals in a package and no canned biscuits, although I also remember when my mother started using canned biscuits. They weren’t as good as her homemade versions, but the thing I missed the most was eating the raw dough. And I still remember the smell and taste of that dough.

God must have a keen sense of smell, as well. Whenever the priests offered up sacrifices, it was quite commonly described as a sweet-smelling aroma to Him. Incense was used along with the sacrifice that would emit a sweet smelling aroma, but a close look at the scriptures indicate that the attitude of the worshipper and the sacrifice itself was sweet-smelling and pleasing to God.

Leviticus 1:9 (NKJV)
9 . . . And the priest shall burn all on the altar as a burnt sacrifice, an offering made by fire, a sweet aroma to the Lord.

Christ’s sacrifice on the cross is described in a similar way in the New Testament. It is described as sweet-smelling to God and it’s sure sweet-smelling to me, as well!

Ephesians 5:2 (NKJV)
2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma. 08-01-09

No comments:

Share On Facebook

Share on Facebook

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Larry Ross

    Larry Ross
    Chestnut Hill Free Will Baptist Church
    Powered By Blogger

    Blog Archive

    About Me

    My photo
    Bedford, VA, United States
    I pastor a small church which began in the early 1970's. I love and play Buegrass Gospel music with my wife.