I love cartoons and have noticed through the years that they quite often contain a spiritual message or hint. Cartoons often depict the culture of our day. This blog is an attempt to draw from cartoons and apply spiritual truths than can impact our lives. Let me know if you find them of any value. Previous devotionals are archived below.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Cartoonology Devotional 08-15-09

Soup To Nutz

Cartoonology. There is great theology in cartoons and comics.

“Cleanliness is next to godliness” is a proverb some people think is in the Bible. Perhaps that is because it is part of a statement John Wesley made in a sermon in 1791. Although it is not found in the Bible, it expresses a veritable truth.

Cleanliness is one virtue that my mother passed on to her children. I recall one occasion when she was preparing lunch for my father, who came home from the sawmill every day to eat at noon. Mom was stressing the importance of washing for meals, and in order to get us to conform she made a big deal about being extra clean for Dad when he came in. My baby sister and I went into the bathroom and washed and washed and washed. By the time Dad came in our faces were red, chafed and very sore, but we were clean!

I am often appalled at the number of people I see in restrooms who never wash their hands. What does it say about our society when employers have to put signs on the restroom mirrors reminding employees to wash and list instructions on how to do it? And it is not just young people I observe not washing. If cleanliness is indeed next to godliness, perhaps this could be part of the explanation for the filthiness we see in our society regarding morals and ethics.

Isaiah 1:16 (NKJV)
16 "Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean; Put away the evil of your doings from before My eyes. Cease to do evil, 08-15-09

No comments:

Share On Facebook

Share on Facebook

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Larry Ross

    Larry Ross
    Chestnut Hill Free Will Baptist Church
    Powered By Blogger

    Blog Archive

    About Me

    My photo
    Bedford, VA, United States
    I pastor a small church which began in the early 1970's. I love and play Buegrass Gospel music with my wife.